Thursday, May 18, 2017
Friday, April 28, 2017
Please view the following this weekend:
- Option 1: Emperor Wu’s Expansion of State
- Option 2： Confucian Resistance to State Expansion
- Option 3: Wang Mang’s Interregnum
- Option 4: Eastern Han
Reading: Discourses on Salt and Iron：Download here. （TheHandout was given in class）
- Simulation of the Salt and Iron Debate
- (Optional) In-class Debate on the Discourses on Salt and Iron
- Concluding Remarks on the Salt and Iron Debate
Sunday, March 26, 2017
Documentary to watch over the spring break:
HW due on Monday (April 3rd):
Write an essay on the topic related to Qin Shihuang’s terra Cotta Army and his mausoleum. Based on the two articles (related to this topic) which I gave you last class and the above documentary, what can we learn about Qin Dynasty’s military technology, battle formation, artistic achievements, religious beliefs, its ruler, etc.? Or in your short essay, you can just focus on one specific subtopic and go into greater details on this subtopic you have selected. The length of the paper is at least 1 & 1/2 page, size 12, double space, typed. Here is the grading rubric for the essay: Essay-Writing-Rubric. It will be due on April 3rd (Monday). Please either email me the essay as an attached file via jupiter or hand deliver to me in the beginning of our first class after the spring break.
Thursday, Feb. 2, 2017
HW due on Monday at the beginning of class: assignment-on-li-and-yue_zhou-dynasty (be ready to share what you have written in class).
Tuesday, Jan. 17, 2017
First, we would like to welcome you to our Chinese History and Culture class. we hope you are as excited as us to learn more about this subject!
Please bring a poster and draw a very rough outline of China’s map. We will fill in the information as we learn more about China’s geography.
Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2017
Geography of China poster due tomorrow, please include the following:
- Major rivers and mountains, and deserts in China
- major neighboring countries
- major seas near China
- Frontier /China proper
- invisible divide between the south and the east
- invisible divide between the north and the west
- the differences between these divisions
- Where are the major 4 municipalities
- Identify the following provinces: Hebei, Guangdong, Fujian, Sichuan
- Identify Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau.
- Identify the five autonomous regions
- A pie on the ethnicity
- Include information about population
You can add more details to your map
Quizzes: Some modification on the unannounced quizzes. You will be quizzes on all the new assigned readings that have not been quizzed, including the materials we will cover that day. And the number of quizzes may not be limited to four.